How to Bridge to zkSync (TLDR)
What Are The Fees?
Network fees are required to bridge funds in and out of zkSync. Using the Ethereum Mainnet can cost between $5 and $30, depending on how busy the network is. You can use this gas tracker to see the rates in real-time. If you use a Layer 2 scaling solution like Arbitrum or Optimism, the fees can be under a dollar or two.
List Of zkSync Bridges
Here are just a few cross-chain bridges that support zkSync:
1. Official zkSync Bridge
If you want to use the native bridge provided by the zkSync team, this is the way to go. However, it will have the highest fees because it only supports the Ethereum Mainnet. Gas fees can range between $5 to $30, depending on how busy the network is. You can wait until the network is less busy or consider the alternatives below.
How To Use It
- Go to https://portal.txsync.io/bridge.
- Connect your wallet in the top right.
- Enter the amount of ETH you want to bridge.
- Review and confirm the transaction and wait ~15 minutes.
2. Rango Exchange
Rango is the best zkSync bridge I found because it will compare rates on multiple zkSync bridges to give you the best prices. It checks routes on dozens of bridges so you can choose the best quote.
It also supports 60+ blockchains, which is more than any bridge on this list, allowing you to send funds from any network. You can send funds from Ethereum, Optimism, Solana, Starknet, and many EVM and non-EVM chains.
How To Use It
- Go to https://rango.vip/a/JA5tD9 and connect your wallet
- In the "From" section, select the token, network, and amount you want to send
- In the "To" section, select "zkSync" and "ETH"
- Rango will show you the best quote at the bottom. If you like it, click "Swap"
- Review the transaction and click confirm
If it's your first time using zkSync, make sure to send Ethereum so you have ETH to pay for gas fees on the zkSync network.
3. Across Protocol
Another option is Across Protocol, a growing cross-chain bridge with $111M total value locked (TVL) and $3B in transaction volume so far. It allows you to bridge in and out of zkSync using multiple networks like Arbitrum, Optimism, Base, and more. Bridging is extremely fast, typically under 60 seconds, and you'll save significantly on fees.
The fee can be as low as a few cents depending which network you choose, plus you can grab an additional 20% off if you find a referral URL.
How To Use It
- Go to https://rankfi.com/go/across-protocol/ (that's my referral link for 20% off).
- Connect your wallet and select the tokens and networks you want to use.
- Enter the amount then confirm the transaction to bridge funds.
4. Orbiter Finance Bridge
Another option is to use Orbiter Finance, which is a fast and low-cost decentralized layer 2 bridge that supports lots of networks.
You can use it to save on gas fees by bridging funds from cheaper networks like Arbitrum or Binance Chain instead of Ethereum Mainnet. By doing so, you can pay just a couple of bucks or less in gas fees. I've used it many times without any issues.
How To Use It
- Go to https://orbiter.finance and connect your wallet.
- Select the network you want to send from. You will need to have ETH on that network already.
- Select the network you want to send to. In this case, select "zkSync.”
- Enter the amount and click "Send" and confirm it in your wallet.
The funds should arrive on the other side in a couple minutes or less.
5. Other Cross-Chain Bridges
If you want more options, there are plenty of projects that support the zkSync network:
What Is zkSync?
zkSync is a Layer-2 scaling solution for Ethereum, utilizing advanced zero-knowledge technology to enhance Ethereum's throughput while maintaining its core principles of freedom, self-sovereignty, and decentralization. The project is currently in Mainnet and has a total value locked of $150M, according to data from DefiLlama.
Bridging to zkSync is very straightforward using the native zkSync bridge or with a secure, third-party bridge, like Across Protocol. The process only takes a few minutes and doesn't have to be expensive.
How Do You Bridge Out Of zkSync?
To bridge out of zkSync, you can use the native bridge bridge or third-party bridges. All of the tools above allow you to both deposit and withdraw funds from the zkSync blockchain.
How To Bridge to zkSync Lite?
To bridge to the zkSync Lite, visit https://portal.txsync.io/bridge/ and connect your wallet. Then select zkSync Lite from the dropdown. You can also find a list of recommended bridges on the zkSync website.