Bittrex was founded in 2014 by three cybersecurity engineers and has offices in the USA and Liechtenstein. The crypto exchange has two platforms called Bittrex and Bittrex Global which are available to customers in the USA and internationally.
They market themselves as a security-first platform with "lightning fast trades, dependable digital wallets and industry-leading security."
- Founded in 2014
- Has offices in the USA and Liechtenstein
- 300+ employees according to LinkedIn
- Founded by 3 cybersecurity engineers
Bittrex vs. Bittrex Global
Bittrex is for US customers only and offers its own selection of cryptocurrencies. Bittrex Global is for international customers that live outside of the USA.
Company Security Features
- Never been hacked (founded in 2014)
- Founded by three cybersecurity engineers
- Holds crypto in cold storage
- Cold storage is insured up to $300 million
- KYC required (must prove identity to sign up)
User Security Features
- 2-Factor Authentication
- Withdrawal Whitelisting
- View login history fo suspicious activity (IP addresses, devices, times, etc)
- Optional Email Notifications
- Add/Remove Trusted Devices
- Create An IP Whitelist
- View website status in real-time
Can You Trust Them?
Yes, Bittrex is considered a safe cryptocurrency exchange. They have 2FA, store crypto in cold storage, a $300M in insurance policy, and have never had any hacks. They've also been around since 2014 which is pretty long for the crypto industry.
⚠️ Although this platform is safe, over 50% of platforms we tested have had hacks or incidents in the past. We strongly recommend storing and protecting your crypto on a non-custodial wallet where you own the private keys. Preferably, a reputable hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano X.
Bittrex offers tutorials and an extensive help desk to answer frequently asked questions for customers. They also have a 24/7 live chat support if you want to talk to someone in person - however this has many negative reviews online.
In my experience of using Bittrex since 2017, I've never even had to test their support because the platform has always worked for me. However, many reviews and comments online claim the support is extremely slow and often non-responsive.